We’ve been getting some great feedback from the potato recipes we posted a couple weeks ago. In case you missed out, here are the links to Healthy Sweet & Spicy Sweet Potato Chips and Healthy Roasted Red Potatoes … And of course, I am bringing you another one!
If you are tired of baking your sweet potato the same ol’ way… including in the microwave, AND… looking for another simple yet healthy way to make your sweet potato for your post workout meal….This is the recipe for you!
If you have never heard of Hasselback potatoes, they are actually a traditional Scandinavian dish, but instead of white potatoes, I used sweet potatoes. I love this recipe because the sweet potatoes come out with a crispy exterior and a soft interior and it looks like a fancy baked potato.
You could even impress your loved one with this recipe! Plus, you could scour the internet for several different types of ways to create your own “Hasselback” potato, and that’s one of the best things about this recipe; your potato can be topped with any variety of garnishes from savory to sweet.
HEALTHY HASSELBACK SWEET POTATOES
Prep: 10 Min
Cook: 50-60 Min
Total Time: 1 hour, 10 Min
2 Sweet Potatoes (Large)
1 TSP Extra Virgin Olive Oil (Divided 1/2 TSP Per Potato)
Dash of Salt
Dash of Pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Place each sweet potato on a cutting board and line a chopstick up along either side. Carefully slice the potato into 1/8-inch slices, cutting almost all the way down to the bottom but not all the way through. The chopsticks will help prevent you from cutting all the way through the potato.
3. Rub each potato with a 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil, coating the entire potato and getting down between some of the slices. Some recipes call for more, but you’d be surprised how far a little olive oil can go.
4. Season the potatoes with salt and pepper. (Feel free to season your potato with any other seasonings you like!)
5. Place the potatoes on a baking sheet. I found it easier when I used baking pan that is deeper, (i.e. cake pan). Don’t forget to cover your baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray.
6. Bake in the oven for 60 minutes. Check potato at 50 minutes, if you’d like the top a crispier on the outside, bake for an additional 10 minutes.
*BONUS: Fan out the slices on the potato for a beautiful presentation.
NUTRITION FACTS: (Serving Size 180g)
Total Fat: 5g
Saturated Fat: 1g