I am totally on a potato kick this week!
First, it was the Healthy Red Roasted Potatoes Recipe which is an awesome recipe because it can be made with any type of potato, PLUS it’s a great post-workout carb. Now, I have a recipe for you that has a little sweet and spice and it only takes 20 minutes!
This recipe is all about Yams also known as SWEET POTATOES!
How can sweet potatoes dusted with a blend of sweet and hot seasonings including chili powder, cumin and sugar be healthy? Behind their orange tasty interior, sweet potatoes are stocked full of nutrients that can be beneficial to your diet, especially as a part of your post-workout meal. All of course, when properly prepared.
Did you know…
- Sweet potatoes when eaten with the skin on, are a major source of skin-protecting beta-carotene.
- The orange tuber packs 438% of your daily value of infection-fighting Vitamin A.
- A medium sweet potato provides 35% of your daily recommended amount of Vitamin C.
- Sweet potatoes have 28% more potassium than a banana which is the mineral that helps your body absorb fluids to replace sweat losses.
- Sweet potatoes are rich in fiber, a nutrient that bulks up food, keeping you full longer.
- Sweet potatoes are made of complex carbohydrates, also known as energy that is released at a steady pace for a constant source of vitality, so no sugar highs or lows to worry about.
- A medium sweet potato is only 100 calories when baked in skin, making sweet potatoes an ideal food for weight management. (Hello, post-workout carbohydrate!)
Now that you have some sweet potato nutrition facts under your belt, let’s get to this recipe!
Did I mention that we are making homemade sweet potato chips?
SWEET & SPICY HEALTHY SWEET POTATO CHIPS
MinCook: 14 Min
Total Time: 21 Min
1 Sweet Potato, Peeled (12oz)
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp salt
(If you like extra spice, add cayenne powder)
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. Cut the sweet potato into very thin slices.
3. Spray two baking sheets with cooking spray.
4. Arrange sweet potato slices on the baking sheets in a single layer to fill pan and lightly coat the slices with cooking spray.
5. Bake one sheet at a time for 7 minutes, or until lightly brown.
6. Remove, turn slices over, and bake for another 7 to 10 more minutes until lightly brown. Repeat steps 5 & 6 for your second baking sheet of sweet potatoes.
7. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the cumin, sugar, chili powder, and salt.
8. Pour over the chips, toss well, serve, and enjoy.
NUTRITIONAL FACTS: (Per Serving)
The best part about this recipe is that you can make them in small batches, one potato is all you need and these crunchy chips won’t stay around for long!
Hope you found this recipe as yummy as I did!
Question of the day: What’s your favorite way to prepare your sweet potatoes?