Are you hungry?
Don’t know what to eat after your killer training session?
Welp… We’ve been getting a lot of feedback from our reignfit community on what carbs to eat post workout and what kind of potatoes they should be eating. I’m talking about all kinds of potatoes…. sweet potatoes, yams, yellow potatoes, red potatoes, etc. And… of course Albert and I love potatoes, so I did some homework in the kitchen and created a healthy way to make oven roasted potatoes.
There are three great things about this recipe:
1. You can use any type of potato.
2. It’s delicious, nutritious and under 300 calories per serving.
3. It’s simple and it only takes 35 minutes!
When it comes to choosing what kind of potatoes I want to eat for my post workout meal, I am the type of person who goes through phases. For example, for a couple weeks I will eat sweet potatoes, then the next couple of weeks I will eat regular russet potatoes, etc. Right now, I have this ‘thing’ for red potatoes. I get tired of things easily, so changing it up keeps things tasty and interesting.
What’s the word on red potatoes? Red potatoes provide you with essential vitamins, minerals and energy you need to fuel your body after a hard training day. They’re also a whole food and a vegetable source of starch making potatoes a healthy addition to any well-balanced diet.
Some Nutritional Facts about Red Potatoes
- One medium red potato contains 3 grams of fiber
- One medium red potato contains 943 milligrams of potassium
- One medium red potato contains 1.2 milligrams of iron
- One medium red potato contains 21 milligrams of vitamin c
Here is the recipe for “Healthy Roasted Red Potatoes.”
As I mentioned, you can use any type of potatoes as they are a good fit for low-fat diets, just be sure to remember two things:
1. Not all potatoes are created equal. Be sure to check the nutrition content for their calories, carbs, protein and fats per serving.
2. Remember to be cautious of your portion size when consuming potatoes, especially if you’re following a controlled carbohydrate diet plan to avoid excess carb intake.
HEALTHY ROASTED RED POTATOES
Prep: 5 Minutes
Cook: 30 Minutes
Total Time: 35 Minutes
3lbs of Red Potatoes OR for a smaller serving, I used 5 Red Potatoes
1/4 cup chopped onion *Optional*
2 TBSP of Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 TSP Oregano
1 TSP Sea Salt
1 TSP Fresh Ground Pepper
1 TSP Organic No Salt Seasoning (Alternative Option: Mrs. Dash)
1/4 TSP Cayenne Pepper
1/4 TSP Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
1. Adjust oven rack to the lowest position and heat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Wash and cut potatoes into cubes
3. Toss potatoes with oil and seasonings.
4. Place potatoes on a large lipped cookie sheet (seen above) or a jellyroll pan. (It doesn’t work too well on a regular cookie sheet, but if it is all you have, be sure to double your foil.
5. Roast potatoes for about 30 minutes, until tender and golden brown. Check after 15 minutes and flip potatoes with spatchula (spelling?).
6. *Sprinkle 1/4 cup of onions on top of potatoes.
7. Roast for the last 15 minutes.
8. For more of a brown crispy top, move potatoes to top rack and place oven on broil for 5-10 minutes. Keep a close eye on it and remove from oven until your potatoes are roasted to your desire.
9. Transfer to serving dish.
10. Enjoy & Eat!
Serving Size: 1/4 cup
Servings Per Recipe: 6-8
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 7.6g
If you liked this recipe or if you added a twist to make it your own, we would love to hear about it. Just drop us a line in the comment section below and share with the Reign Fitness Family. We love trying new recipes and offering them to others.
Also, if you haven’t connected with us yet…
Take 2 seconds to sign up for the FREE Reign Fitness Newsletter that offers blog updates, Nutrition advice, Motivation, and more content that never makes it onto the blog. Just click here.
You can also connect with us on the Reign Fitness Facebook Page and on Instagram @ReignFitness.